Office 365 - How to set up Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) using Microsoft Authenticator App
Your password can be easily compromised. 2FA authentication increases your account security by requiring multiple forms of verification to prove your identity when signing into an application.
Watch this quick video to learn how to setup 2FA on your mobile device.
This process works best using two different devices.
- A phone or mobile device to receive MFA prompts (steps below marked "On your phone or Mobile Device:")
- Another computer or device to access your account (steps below marked "On your web browser/Computer:")
1. Install the Microsoft Authenticator App:
- On your phone or mobile device: Install the Microsoft Authenticator app from the App Store (iPhone users) or Google Play Store (Android users)
2. Click on this Link to access your account and continue the setup.
- Ensure that you are signing in with your "NMSU email" and "Passphrase" then click Next.
3. Get your phone or mobile device ready for setup.
- 3.1 - On your phone or Mobile Device: Open the Microsoft Authenticator App
- Select QR Code Scanner or Choose "Add account"
- Select "Work or school account"
- Select “Scan QR Code”
- A QR scanner will open on your phone.
- Your device may prompt you that the Authenticator app is requesting access to your camera.
- Your device may prompt you that the Authenticator app is requesting to accept notifications.
- Choose ACCEPT to Both Prompts.
- 3.2 - On your web browser/computer: click Next until your account QR Code is displayed on your computer screen.
- Your QR Code will be displayed on your computer screen.
- 3.3 - On your phone or Mobile Device: Use the QR Code Scanner in the Authenticator App to scan the QR code
- 3.4 - On your phone or Mobile Device: Select Done to close the code screen
- Note: If your camera is not working properly, you can enter the QR code and URL manually.
- You should now see both “New Mexico State University” Along with your NMSU email listed in the Authenticator App
- On your web browser: Click Next
- The following screen will prompt you to open your phone/mobile device to approve a notification that is sent to you.
- 3.5 On your phone or Mobile Device: Open and Approve the Push Notification that is sent to your phone.
- This can be done by swiping down on your mobile device and clicking on the notification.
- 3.6 On your web browser: After approving the notification on your phone, you should receive the message “Notification Approved” on your computer.
- Click Next & Done until you land on your Microsoft “my account” web page.
4. Your account is now enabled for 2FA.
ICT Virtual Helpdesk Link and ID
Zoom Link: https://nmsu.zoom.us/my/icthelpdesk
Or meeting ID: icthelpdesk