Topics Map > NMSU Services
Topics Map > myNMSU Support > Account Support

myNMSU (Housing) - First-Year Housing Exemption

NMSU housing requires all first-year, transfer, and freshmen students to live on campus. Although this will be mandatory for the majority of first-year students, there are some circumstances that warrant an exemption from this requirement. Some of these circumstances may include physical disability, upper-classmen transfer (90 credits +), or living with local family members on or off campus. If you have questions concerning an exemption please contact NMSU campus housing at (575) 646-3202 or through e-mail at

For NMSU campus housing to confirm you are exempt from a first-year campus placement you must submit an exemption request through the myhousing portal. 

The procedures that follow will assist you through this process. 

Step 1:
Begin by visiting the NMSU housing homepage. Once this page has loaded navigate to the links, found at the bottom of the page, and click on the one titled Access MyHousing
housing homepage and myhousing link

Step 2:
The Access MyHousing link will take you to the myNMSU portal where you will need to enter your credentials (username and password) and click Sign In
mynmsu sign in page

Step 3:
Once the myNMSU homepage loads navigate to the Student tab (at the top left of the screen) and click. Now navigate to the center of your screen under Banner Self Service and click on the link titled MyHousing. This will open you MyHousing portal in a new page. 
student tab and my housing link

Step 4:
After the MyHousing portal page loads navigate to the Application menu at the top of the page and click on it to expand. Here you will need to select the First Year Residency- Request for Exemption link. 
request for exemption link

Step 5:
Please review this form, sign at the bottom, and print-off and submit any documentation that applies to your exemption via email ( 


If you have any questions, come by the Help Desk at Hardman & Jacobs Undergraduate Learning Center Room 105, call 646-1840, or email us at

Keywords:myNMSU (Housing) First-Year Housing Exemption freshmen transfer family   Doc ID:82803
Owner:John B.Group:New Mexico State University
Created:2018-06-11 12:22 MDTUpdated:2019-04-15 09:22 MDT
Sites:New Mexico State University
Feedback:  1   4