Topics Map > NMSU Services > VPN
Topics Map > Mobile Devices > Android
Topics Map > Mobile Devices > iOS (Apple)
Install Cisco VPN (Chromebook, Android, iPhone, iPod, iPad)
The NMSU Cisco VPN (Virtual Private Network) application establishes a secure connection to our network off-campus. It allows you to perform functions that normally would only be possible while on our network such as file transfer to our web servers (FTP), as well as sending mail without authenticating on our outgoing (SMTP) mail server.
- On your Chromebook home screen, navigate to the Web Store. This can be done by searching in the Search bar (on the bottom left of the screen or via the magnifying glass button on the keyboard).
- Once available, search the Chrome Web Store for "Cisco AnyConnect".
- Here, select the blue "Add to Chrome" button.
- Once clicked, select the "Add app" option. Now, the app will begin the installation process. Once completed, a "Successful Installation" notification will appear and the blue "Add to Chrome" button will change to a green "Rate it" button.
- After AnyConnect has been installed, open your Search feature again and find "AnyConnect".
- Once found, select "Add New Connection".
- When prompted, enter "NMSU VPN" in the name box, and "vpn.nmsu.edu" in the server address box. Do not alter the certificates settings. Save these changes and close.
- Next, open up the Status Area in the bottom right corner and select the area where it says "VPN Disconnected".
- Select "NMSU VPN (user)".
- Next, select the appropriate Group for your task, and then enter your myNMSU Username and Password. When done, select Submit. To check your connection, open up the Status Area on the bottom right again, and look for "Connected to NMSU VPN (user)".
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client from the Google Play Store. When you’ve downloaded the client, launch the AnyConnect App.
- Read the End User License Agreement. If you accept the agreement, tap Accept to continue. If you do not accept the agreement, tap Decline to discontinue. Next, tap Add New VPN Connection...
- Set the Description to NMSU and the Server Address to vpn.nmsu.edu. Then tap Done.
- Tap on the new NMSU connection you just created. Enter your NMSU username in the Username box and your NMSU password in the Password box and tap OK.
- On the next screen, read the disclaimer. If you agree, select I trust this application. to continue. If you do not agree, tap Cancel to discontinue. Then tap OK. (Android-9.png)
- You are now connected as indicated by the Key icon in the Notification Bar at the top. (Android-10.png)
- To disconnect, swipe down the Notification Bar at the top, access AnyConnect, and tap Disconnect. (Android-11.png, Android-12.png)
iPhone, iPod, iPad
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client from the Apple App Store. Then launch the AnyConnect App.
- Next, read the disclaimer. If you agree, select OK. to continue. If you do not agree, tap Don't Allow to discontinue. Next, tap Add New VPN Connection...
- Set Description to NMSU and Server Address to vpn.nmsu.edu. Then tap Save.
- Make sure your new NMSU connection is selected and swipe AnyConnect VPN from the OFF to the ON position. In the Authentication window, enter your NMSU username in the Username box and your NMSU password in the Password box and tap Connect.
- You are now connected as indicated by the VPN icon in the Notification Bar at the top. To disconnect, open the AnyConnect App again, and swipe AnyConnect VPN from ON to the OFF position.