Accessing NMSU Documents on Windows 7
Instructions to access your "My Documents" Computer Lab folder on your personal computer (Windows 7)
These instructions will allow you to access your NMSU Computer Lab "My Documents" folder from a personal computer. After completing these steps, you will be able to get your NMSU Computer Lab "My Documents" folder on your personal computer both on and off campus.
To complete these steps, you will need your Social Security Number and your myNMSU username. If you do not have a myNMSU account, go to https:/my.nmsu.edu to sign up.
If you are off-campus, please refer to the VPN Client Download instructions at (INSERT LINK HERE) before proceeding. If you are on-campus, follow the directions below.
Mapping a Network Drive
To complete these steps, you will need your Social Security Number and your myNMSU username.
- From the Start menu, click on Computer. In the Computer window, click on the Map Network Drive button, located on the top of the bar.
- The next window will be the Map Network Drive window. In the drop down menu labeled "drive", you will see Z: automatically selected, this can be changed to whatever drive you prefer. Below that, in the box labeled "folder", type in the following:
\\avalanche\users$\[your myNMSU username]
- Following the previous step, you will be prompted to type in a username and password. In the username box type:
acn\[your myNMSU username]
Next, type in your Social Security Number in the password box and click OK.
*Important: The slash in the username is a forward slash (\) not the backward slash(/)
- Next, a window will appear displaying the drive you just created containing your NMSU Computer Lab "My Documents" folder. From here you will be able to access this folder and its contained document from the Computer window by double-clicking on the icon for the drive you just created; this icon will be located under Network Location.
- If you need to disconnect this drive when you are finished with your "My Documents" folder, right click on the drive in the Computer window and click Disconnect.
- You may disconnect a Network drive while in the Computer window OR in the window of the Network drive itself. To do so, right-click on the icon of the drive in the left-hand menu and click Disconnect. If yo choose to disconnect from the Network drive window, a warning will appear after you disconnect. Data will NOT be lost as long as all your NMSU files are SAVED and CLOSED prior to disconnecting the drive.
When all of your files are saved and closed, click the Yes button in the Error alert window.