Connect to NMSU AggieAir-WPA2 Wireless on Windows Vista, 7,8, and 10
NMSU provides the NMSU community with AggieAir - WPA2 Encrypted wireless internet access, which can help protect sensitive personal information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card numbers from snoopers on a network. The service is available to any student, faculty, or staff with valid myNMSU credentials.
- Windows Vista, 7, and 10 users: Right click on the wireless network icon in the taskbar. In the menu, click Open Network and Sharing Center.
Note: You can also access your network connections by clicking Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center or by opening your list of available wifi connections in Windows Vista & 7 or by clicking Open Network and Sharing Center.
Windows 8 users:
Option 1a - If you're using the default Windows 8 user interface (tiles), click on the down arrow to get to the app section. Then, click on Control Panel under Windows System. Next, select Small icons in the View by menu and click Network and Sharing Center. Continue to step 2.
Option 1b - Alternatively, click on the Desktop tile. This will switch you to the classic Windows interface. Right-click on the wireless network icon in the taskbar. In the menu, click Open Network and Sharing Center. Continue to step 2.
Option 1c - If you're already using the Windows 8 classic desktop interface, Right-click on the wireless network icon in the taskbar. In the menu, click Open Network and Sharing Center. Continue to step 2.
- In the Network and Sharing Center window, click on Setup a new connection or network. Select Manually connect to a wireless network.
- Next, input the settings for the network. For Network name type AggieAir-WPA2. For Security type, select WPA2-Enterprise. The Encryption type should be AES. When you are done inputting the settings, click Next.
- The following window will say that you have successfully added AggieAir-WPA2. Click change connection settings.
- In the next window, click on the Security tab. Make sure Security type is WPA2-Enterprise. The Encryption type should be AES. The Network authentication method should be Microsoft: Protection EAP (PEAP). Next, click the Settings button next to Network authentication method.
- The next window will be the Protected EAP Properties window. Make sure the box labeled Validate server certificate is unchecked. Under Authentication Method, select Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2). If you would like to, check the box for Enable Fast Reconnect. Next, click the Configure button under Authentication Method.
- In the next window, uncheck Automatically use my Windows logon name and password. Click OK in the EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties window and in the Protected EAP Properties window.
- Back in the Network Properties window, click Advanced Settings. Click on the 802.1X settings tab. Check the box labeled Specify Authentication Mode. Select User Authentication from the drop-down menu. Now click OK. In the Network Properties window, click OK. Click the Close button in the Successfully Connected window.
- You will now be able to connect to the secured AggieAir-WPA2 internet. To log in, click the wireless network icon in the taskbar. Select AggieAir-WPA2 and click Connect. In the next box, enter your NMSU username and password and click OK.