Topics Map > Windows
Topics Map > NMSU Services > VPN
Troubleshooting NMSU Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
If you are having trouble connecting to the NMSU Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, try going through the troubleshooting steps listed below.
Troubleshooting Steps for Cisco AnyConnect VPN.
- OS UPDATES OR PATCHES: Sometimes the VPN client will stop working because of OS updates or patches. Try to uninstall the program and reinstall in order to fix this issue. Find your operating system below for uninstall instructions.
Uninstall on Windows 7, 8, and 10
Uninstall on Mac OS X
- FAILURE TO INSTALL – WINDOWS: Sometimes the web-based installation process may not work on your Windows computer. You can manually install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN if this happens.
Manual Installation – Windows
- Go to the Control Panel. In the Control Panel, make sure you are in Category View and click on Uninstall a program. You can change the view using the View By option in the top right-hand corner.
- The next window will list all the programs installed on your machine. select the program you wish to uninstall and click the Uninstall/Change option.
- You may get a dialogue box asking you to confirm that you want to uninstall the program. Click Yes. Some programs may open an Uninstall window to uninstall - if so, click the Next button and follow the directions to uninstall the program. If prompted to select the features you want to remove, make sure to select ALL of them and click Remove.
- From the desktop, double-click on the Hard Disk icon. If this icon is not visible, click on Finder in the task bar. In the Finder menu, click on Preferences. Under the General tab, check the box next to Hard disks and click OK.
- In the Hard Disk window, click on the Applications folder. In the next column, select the program you want to remove and drag it to the Trash in the dock. The program should no longer be listed in Applications.
- To permanently delete this program, open the Trash and click on the Empty button.
NOTE: some programs have an uninstaller which you should use. To use the uninstaller, open it once you have selected the program you want to remove and run it.
If you have any questions, come by the Help Desk at Hardman & Jacobs Undergraduate Learning Center Room 105, call 646-1840, or e-mail us at email@example.com. To the top
- If a Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client window came up in your browser saying that the web-based VPN Connection failed, click on the VPN client installer package titled Windows 7/Vista/64/XP/.
- In the next window, you will be prompted to run the file or cancel; click the Run button. The next window will ask if you want to allow the file to make changes to your computer. Click Yes.
- Now you will go through the Cisco AnyConnect installation process. On the Welcome screen, click Next. The next screen will list the license agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the License Agreement and then click Next. If you do not agree, you will need to exit the setup. Note - You will not be able to access the Cisco AnyConnect VPN if you do not accept the License Agreement.
- On the next window, click the Install button. The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client will now be installed on your computer. This could take several minutes.
- After the client has finished installing, a confirmation window will come up. In this window, click the Finish button.
- Open the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client you may access it from the Start menu or, on Windows 8, from the icon in the pane view. In the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client window, enter vpn.nmsu.edu in the box and click the Connect button.
- In the next window, type in your myNMSU username in the Username box and your myNMSU password in the Password box. Now click OK.
- You may see the status of your VPN client in the bottom right corner of the taskbar or in your hidden icons box. When the VPN client is connected, the icon will include a padlock. When the VPN client is disconnected, the padlock will be gone.
- To disconnect your VPN client, open the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client window by and click the Disconnect button.