Topics Map > Windows
Topics Map > Mac
Google Chrome - File fix download errors
If you get an error message on Chrome when you try to download apps, themes, extensions, or other files, try these fixes
Fix most file download errors
If you try to download a file and it doesn’t work, first try to fix the error with these troubleshooting steps:
- Make sure your Internet connection is working normally. If your Internet connection is unstable, learn how to fix Internet stability issues.
- Chrome will automatically resume the download. You can also resume the file download by clicking the Down arrow Resume.
Get help with a specific error message
If you see "NETWORK_FAILED" when you try to install an app, extension, or theme from the Chrome Web Store on Windows, unwanted software may be blocking the installation.
To fix the error:
For more information, please visit the Google Support website.
- First, remove the unwanted software. Then, try to install the app, extension, or theme again.
- If you still can't install the app, extension, or theme, reinstall Chrome."Download blocked"This error means that your computer's security settings blocked the file.On Windows: Windows Attachment Manager might have removed the file you tried to download. To see what files you can download or why your file was blocked, check your Windows Internet security settings."No file"This error means that you're trying to download a file that doesn't exist on this website.To fix the error, contact the website owner, or try to find the file on a different site."Virus scan failed" or "Virus detected"These errors mean that your virus scanning software might have blocked you from downloading a file.
- Check your virus-scanning software for details about why the file was blocked.
- On Windows: Windows Attachment Manager might have removed the file you tried to download. To see what files you can download or why your file was blocked, check your Windows Internet security settings."Disk full"This error means that there's not enough space on your computer to download the file.To fix this error:
- Delete some files from your computer.
- Empty your Trash."Insufficient permissions" or "System busy"These errors mean that Chrome couldn't save the file to your computer.To fix the error:
- Cancel the download and try again.
- Instead of clicking the file to download, right-click the link and select Save link as.
- Be sure to download files to a place on your computer you have access to, like your Desktop or Documents folder. you can change download locations."Needs authorization"This error means you don't have permission to download the file.To fix the error, contact the website or server owner, or try to find the file on a different site."Forbidden"This error means you don't have permission to download this file from the server.To fix, go to the website where the file is hosted. Check if you need to sign (or provide some other authentication). If you can't sign in, contact the website or server owner, or try finding the file on a different site.