Google Chrome - Fix videos that won't play in Chrome
Step 1: Update Chrome
If a video on YouTube, Facebook, or other sites isn't working on your Chrome browser - for example, it doesn't load, stays blank, or causes Chrome to freeze or crash - try the troubleshooting tips below.
You might need the latest version of Chrome to play your video.
- Open a new Chrome browser window.
chrome://settings/contentinto the address bar.
- To close the window, click Done.
- In the top left, click the refresh button . This will update the settings.
Step 3: Reset your Internet connection
Your Internet network might be causing problems with video playback. Try resetting it:
- Turn off your computer or mobile device.
- Unplug your modem and your wireless router, if it's a separate device.
- Wait for about one minute.
- Plug in your modem and wait until all the lights have stopped blinking.
- If you unplugged your router, plug it back in and wait until the lights have stopped blinking.
- Turn on your computer or mobile device and try playing your video.
Step 4: Check your extensions, plugins, cache, and cookies
Some video issues are caused by Chrome extensions, plugins, or something saved in your cache or browser data. learn how to troubleshoot and fix the problem:
Check extensions and pluginsTo see if any extension is causing problems, try playing the video you're having trouble with in Incognito mode.
- If that solved your issue, turn off your extensions or plugins temporarily. Then turn them back on one-by-one to see which extension or plugin is causing the problem.
- If that doesn't work, try resetting Chrome to its default settings. This will turn off your extensions and plugins.Clear cache and cookiesCheck to see if the video will play in an Incognito window in Chrome. If it does play, you may need to clear your cache and browsing data.Note: Keep in mind that clearing your cache and cookies erases your settings for websites. Here are some examples:
- If you chose to have sites remember your username and password, they will be cleared from your browser's memory when you clear cache and cookies. You'll have to sign in to these sites again.
- Websites might load a little slower because all of the images and content pieces have to be loaded from scratch.
For more information, please visit the Google Support website.