WordPress - Navigating the Media Library
The WordPress media library is a repository for the images, videos, recordings, and files that have been uploaded for use in your blog. These media items are generally uploaded and inserted into Post or Pages during the editing process; however, once uploaded can be accessed via the library for use in other content. The Media Library itself allows you to edit, view, and delete Media previously uploaded to your blog.
Access your Media Library
- Your media library is available via the Media menu on the sidebar. From there, select the Library link.
- The Library link will redirect you to your Media Library. Here, you will see a grid view of all currently uploaded media.
- In the Media Library, there are multiple ways to filter your media content via the Media Library menu bar.
- Change Media Library View: You can toggle the view of your library between grid view and list view via the buttons on the menu bar. Grid view displays media items as tiles in chronological order. List view lists media items in descending chronological order while also displaying author, upload location, date, and stats.
- Filter Media Library by media type: The second option on the media menu bar is the All media items toggle menu. Here, you can choose between type of media, filtering out media items you don't need or don't want to see at that time. Note: The filterable list items may change depending on whether you're looking at the Media Library in List view or Grid view.
- Filter Media Library by upload date: You also have the ability to filter your media items by upload date; located on the media menu bar. To filter by date, select the All dates toggle menu and select the period of time that you would like to view.
- From the Grid view, click the image you intend to edit then select the Edit Image button underneath the expanded image on the Attachment Details screen.
- From the List view, hover your mouse over the image you would like to edit then select the Edit option from the quick links below the image title. After selecting the Edit quick option, select the Edit Image button under the image preview.
- Delete from the Grid menu: Select the image you would like to delete. On the Attachment Details screen, select the red Delete Permanently option on the bottom right side of the screen.
- Delete from the List menu: Hover your mouse over the image you would like to delete. Once you see the quick links menu under the media title, select the red Delete Permanently link.