Topics Map > Windows
Topics Map > Mac
Skype for Business (Windows | Mac) - Find and add a contact on Skype
Skype for Business helps you stay connected to the people who are important to you or your business via instant messaging, email, audio, and video calls, persistent chat rooms, and online meetings and presentations. This article takes you through some basic Skype for Business tasks to get you started.
- In the search box on the Contacts view of the Skype for Business main window, type a name, IM address, or NMSU phone number. As you type, search results will start appearing below the search box and the tabs will change from Groups, Status, Relationships, and New:
to My Contacts and Skype Directory:
- If the person you are searching for is a student, faculty, or staff member, keep the My Contacts tab selected (that's the default). When My Contacts is selected, Skype for Business searches in your organization's address book.
If the person you are searching for is not part of the NMSU community but they have a Skype account, click the Skype Directory tab to search for them among the millions of Skype users out there. Knowing their Skype username and location helps narrow the search quickly.
- When you see the listing for the person you want to add, point at their picture (or picture display area).
If they are part of the NMSU community (My Contacts), and you want to add them to one of your groups, click the More Options button, and then choose either Add to Contacts List (then select one of your groups) or Add to Favorites.
If they are a Skype user, and you want to add them to one of your groups, click the Add to contacts button, then choose one of your groups or the favorites group to add them.
Note: Some people might have an organization account and a Skype account. So if you work with someone and are also friends with them, you may want to add both of their identities to your contacts.
Note: You can't use Skype for Business on Mac to communicate with people who are using the free Skype app. You can only use it to find and communicate with people in your organization who are using Skype for Business.
- Go to the Contacts list.
- In the Search for Contacts box, type a name, email address, or desk phone number if they are part of the NMSU community.
If your contact at NMSU also uses Office 365 Groups, you can search for the group name. As you type, search results will start to appear below the search box.
- When you see the listing for the person IM or call, double-click their picture or picture display area.
- Choose how you want to contact the person: IM, video call, phone call, email, or schedule a meeting.