Topics Map > NMSU Services
Topics Map > Windows
Skype for Business (Windows) - Send an IM in Skype for Business
Skype for Business instant messaging (IM) is an efficient way to connect with your contacts in real time and on a moment's notice. Less formal than email, faster than a phone call - IM is tough to beat for speed and ease of use. you can send an instant message from anywhere in Skype for Business where you see a contact. Just check that the person's presence indicator is green first. This indicates that they are available.
Start an IM conversation
- To find the person you want to send an instant message to, do one of the following:
- Hover over their picture in the Contacts list, and click the IM button.
- Double-click anywhere on their contact listing.
- Right-click their listing, and select Send an IM.
Note: If a skype user is not in your Contacts list, you will need to add them as a contact. They Skype user will then have to accept your request before you can send them an IM.
- Drag and drop a saved file into the text input area.
- Copy and paste a saved file or any image from an Office program into the text input area.
- Press PrtScn on your keyboard to capture an image directly from your screen, and then paste it into the text input area.
- Add an emoticon by clicking the Emoticon icon and then clicking the emoticon you want to add.
- Change the font or font size by clicking the More options (ellipsis) button.
- Mark your message as high-priority by clicking the Importance icon.
- Send a file by clicking the paperclip and browsing to the file you want to send.
- Press and hold the Shift key for multiple adjacent contacts or the Ctrl key for multiple nonadjacent contacts while you click the listing for each person. Then, right-click and select Send an IM, type your message at the bottom of the conversation window, and press Enter. Your message will go to all the people you've selected.
- Right-click the group name in your Contacts list, click Send an IM, type your message, and then press Enter. Your message will go to all group members.
- To see the message, click anywhere on the toast notification
- To write back, type in the text input area, and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- To reject the message, click Ignore. The message goes to your Outlook inbox if you use Outlook.