Topics Map > Network Devices > Amazon
Amazon Echo - Connect to Wi-Fi
Your Echo requires an active Wi-Fi connection to speak, process your commands, and stream media.
Before you begin
- Plug your Echo into a power outlet.
- Open the Alexa app.
Echo connects to dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz) networks that use the 802.11a / b / g / n standard. Echo does not connect to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) networks.
- In the Alexa app, open the left navigation panel and then select Settings.
- Select your device and then select Update Wi-Fi. If you're adding a new device to your account, select Set up a new device instead.
- On your Echo device, press and hold the Action button until the light ring changes to orange. Your mobile device will then connect to your Echo device. A list of available Wi-Fi networks appear in the app.
Note: The Alexa app may ask you to manually connect your device to your Echo device through your Wi-Fi settings.
- Select your Wi-Fi network and enter the network password (if required). If you don't see your Wi-Fi network, scroll down and select Add a Network (for hidden networks) or Rescan.
- MAC address: If you need to add your Alexa device to your router's list of approved devices, scroll down on this screen until you see the MAC address.
- Optional - Save your Wi-Fi password to Amazon: Any Wi-Fi passwords saved during setup automatically appear when you connect a new Alexa device to the same Wi-Fi network. The password is also remembered if you switch between saved Wi-Fi networks. For more information, go to Saving Your Wi-Fi Passwords to Amazon FAQs.
- Optional - Connect to a public network: Enter any required information if you are connecting to a public network that requires a web browser to sign in, like a school or hotel. The information could be a pre-shared password, room number, or just a button to accept conditions for using the network. This information cannot be saved to Amazon. Contact the network owner for more information.
- Select Connect. After your device connects to your Wi-Fi network, a confirmation message appears in the app. You're now ready to use Alexa.