Topics Map > Web Browser > Firefox
Firefox - Bookmarks
Bookmarks are links to web pages that make it easy to get back to your favorite places. This article goes over the basics of making and managing your bookmarks.
Table of Contents
- How do I bookmark a page?
- How do I change the name and location of a bookmark?
- Where can I find my bookmarks?
- How do I organize my bookmarks?
- How do I turn on the Bookmarks Toolbar?
- How do I add the Bookmarks Menu button to the toolbar?
- Tips and tricks
How do I bookmark a page?
To bookmark a page, just click the star in the address bar.
The star will turn blue when the page is bookmarked and a window will pop up so you can name, move or tag your bookmark.
If the star is missing from the address bar:
- Click on the Page actions (3-dot) menu.
- Hold down the Ctrl key while you click the entry.
- Click on .
How do I change the name and location of a bookmark?
- To edit the details of your bookmark, click the star a second time to open the Edit This Bookmark dialog box.
- In the Edit This Bookmark box you can change any of these details:
- Name: This is the name that Firefox displays for the bookmark in menus.
- Folder: Choose what folder to store your bookmark in by picking one from the drop-down menu (for example, the Bookmarks Menu or Bookmarks Toolbar). In that drop-down menu you can also select to display a list of all bookmarks folders.
- Tags: You can use tags to help you search through and organize your bookmarks. For more information, see Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find.
- When you are finished editing, click to close the box.
Where can I find my bookmarks?
The easiest way to find a page that you've bookmarked is to start typing its name in the address bar. As you type, a list of web pages that you've bookmarked, tagged and visited will appear. Bookmarked pages will have a star next to them. All you have to do is click one of the pages and you'll be taken there instantly. To learn more, see Awesome Bar - Search your Firefox bookmarks, history and tabs from the address bar.
How do I organize my bookmarks?
The Library window lets you view and organize all your bookmarks.
Click the , then click . Scroll to the bottom and click .
By default, the bookmarks you make will be located in the Other Bookmarks folder. Select it in the sidebar of the Library window to see the bookmarks you've made. Double-clicking a bookmark will open it.
While you have the Library window open, you can also drag bookmarks into other folders like the Bookmarks Menu folder which will show your bookmarks in the menu under the Bookmarks button. If you add bookmarks to the Bookmarks Toolbar folder they'll show up on the Bookmarks Toolbar. See the following articles for more details on how to manage your giant list of bookmarks:
- Sort your bookmarks to quickly find the ones you want
- Use bookmark folders to organize your bookmarks
- How do I delete a bookmark?
How do I turn on the Bookmarks Toolbar?
If you want to use the Bookmarks Toolbar, you can turn it on like this:
- Click the menu at the top of the screen, go down to and select .
How do I add the Bookmarks Menu button to the toolbar?
If you want to display the Bookmarks menu button on the toolbar, you can add it using the Library button:
- Click the icon, then click .
- Click , then click , and the button should appear next to the Library icon.
To remove the Bookmarks menu button from the toolbar, repeat the steps above and after clicking , click .
Tips and tricks
Ready for more fun with bookmarks? Here are more articles to help you get the most out of them.
- Share bookmarks, tabs and more with another computer or mobile device: see How do I set up Sync on my computer?
- Switching between different browsers? These article will help you take your bookmarks with you: