Topics Map > myNMSU Support > Account Support
Change your NMSU Username
This document provides information to NMSU students and employees on how they can change their chosen username in relation to the criteria set by the University.
NMSU students and employees may only be allowed to change their usernames under the following circumstances:
- Your legal name has changed.
- Documented harassment.
Note: that changes due to "Documented Harassment" must be reviewed by the CIO or CISO.
- To address gender comfort and safety concerns.
- The originally chosen username is misspelled, vulgar, suggestive, clearly objectionable, not typical in a business setting (A user can only change their username one time for this type of circumstance).
Note: that current and former employees with financial records associated with their username, will not be eligible to change their username, but can request that a suitable email alias be created if the allowable circumstances apply.
In the case of a username change, your new username must meet the following criteria:
- It must be six to eighth characters in length
- it must be based on your name, except for cases of harassment
If you plan to change your username, send a request email from the account you are requesting change for, to the firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the help desk at 575-646-1840 or walk into the help desk.
Please have the following information available, at all times, in your preferred mode of communication:
- Your Full Name
- NMSU ID Number
- Include three (3) username options that are 3-8 characters in length (Letters and numbers only)
- Your Current NMSU username
- Your reason for requesting change
- Date of Birth
- A valid email or phone number where you can be reached once the change has been made.